Tags: James | Murdoch | News | Hacking

James Murdoch Again Blames Subordinates for News Corp. Hacking

Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 06:58 AM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

James Murdoch, the News Corp. executive whose leadership has been called into question over phone hacking at the company’s U.K. unit, continued to blame his subordinates in testimony to a media-ethics inquiry.

Murdoch said, under repeated questioning about his knowledge of the scandal, that News of the World Editor Colin Myler failed to tell him in 2008 that voice-mail interception was common at the paper. Myler and the newspaper’s lawyer Tom Crone have said they discussed the evidence with Murdoch.

“Their assurances to me were consistent, as I’ve said — the newspaper had been investigated thoroughly, outside people had come in to investigate, no evidence was found, and the police found nothing.” Murdoch said today in London. “That was entirely consistent with Crone and Myler all the way through.”

Murdoch, 39, and his father, Chief Executive Officer Rupert Murdoch, 81, are testifying over three days this week at the panel set up by Prime Minister David Cameron to help quell public outrage over phone hacking. The scandal, which widened to include police probes of computer hacking and bribery, has led to 45 arrests and the closing of the best-selling News of the World tabloid, where the hacking started.

“With respect to news gathering practices, I think it’s self-evident that in hindsight, knowing what we know now, whatever controls were in place failed to create sufficient transparency,” James Murdoch said.

‘Something New’

Testimony at the inquiry focused on James Murdoch’s role in approving a settlement for Gordon Taylor, the chief executive officer of the Professional Footballers’ Association. Robert Jay, a lawyer for the inquiry, asked Murdoch if the 700,000 pound ($1.1 million)-settlement, the first in a phone-hacking case, was reached because of the reputational risk to the News of the World.

“This wasn’t a rehash of old news, but this was something new,” Jay asked Murdoch.

Murdoch has said he didn’t read a 2008 e-mail from Myler about phone hacking potentially being much more widespread than the reporter who was jailed a year earlier. He said he didn’t read it because it was sent on a Saturday, he had jet lag and he was preoccupied with his two small children swimming in a pool at home. The Parliament may release its own report on the phone- hacking “I’m telling you that was not what was communicated to me in that meeting.”

Jay repeatedly asked how James Murdoch seemed to ignore key evidence on whether phone hacking extended beyond reporter Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, both of whom had gone to jail over the crime.

‘Cover-Up’

“Either you were told about the evidence which linked others at the News of the World about Mulcaire and this was in fact a cover-up, or you weren’t told,” Jay asked. “You didn’t read your e-mails properly and there was a failure of governance within the company. Do you accept those are the only two possibilities?”

Murdoch responded that he didn’t agree.

“I was given the same assurances that they gave outside,” he told Jay.

Murdoch told the inquiry that he only read the tabloid from “time to time” and that the publisher didn’t have enough transparency when he took over in 2007, the same year the tabloid’s royal reporter and private investigator were jailed for phone hacking. He said new controls were put in place and the scandal was believed to be contained.

‘More Detail’

“You didn’t see feel it was necessary to get into any more detail when your senior management team, at least according to a judge, had got it spectacularly wrong?” Judge Brian Leveson, who is overseeing the inquiry, asked Murdoch today.

The U.K. Parliament questioned the Murdochs last year about how much they knew about reporters’ illegal activities. Since the July appearance before lawmakers, additional evidence has emerged in litigation by phone-hacking victims, police investigations and the company’s own internal probe.

The controversy has been a blow for the younger Murdoch, as the scandal prompted News Corp. to drop a 7.8 billion-pound ($12.6 billion) deal for the 61 percent of British Sky Broadcasting Group PLC the company doesn’t own. It also led to his resignation this month as chairman of BSkyB, the pay-TV operator he built into one of News Corp.’s most profitable businesses.

James Murdoch’s resignation as BSkyB chairman came after he had moved a step closer to succeeding his father with his promotion to News Corp.’s deputy chief operating officer in New York in March 2011. The role at BSkyB had been crucial for Murdoch after he departed from other boards in the wake of the hacking scandal to focus on overseeing News Corp.’s international TV business.

Bloomberg LP, the parent of Bloomberg News, competes with News Corp. units in providing financial news and information.


© Copyright 2014 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web

Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 

You May Also Like
Around the Web

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

MONEYNEWS.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved